Go right to the beginning by clicking here, or to the start of the adventure by clicking here



Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 13: Willowmore to Prince Albert.

168km/16.5hours. My toughest stage so far, no doubt about it! This stage is relatively flat and normally takes riders 7-10 hours to complete. I've been dreading it since the start because on a singlespeed its murder. The surface is all dirt road but the quality is shocking! Thick sand and long stretches of bone jarring corrugations keep trying to rip bike and body apart and they came close to succeeding. By the end, I had to tighten up both bottle cages which had rattled loose! On arrival in Willowmore yesterday, I felt really good and thought about pushing on but opted to get a bit of dinner and sleep first before deciding, since it would've meant back to back stages of 160km+. In hindsight I shouldn't have waited that long because when I did get going at 10pm, I was feeling sleepy. Thereafter followed 16 hours of riding, walking, rattling, chain skipping and cat-napping, with a bit of early morning rain thrown in for good measure, all of which got me to Prince Albert for lunch (instead of for breakfast as originally planned) I stopped in at Visgat farm and had tasty vetkoek for breakfast. Along the way I was met by the legendary Johan Rissik, a fellow singlespeeder and Prince Albert local, who gave me some coffee and rusks to perk me up for the final stretch into town. He's now trying to solve my chain skipping issues while I get some much needed sleep. The tranquil ambiance at Dennehof Guest Lodge should ensure I sleep well. Really glad that today's stage is over.

6 comments:

  1. that stage rattled my camera to pieces!good luck for the final push. no rain in cape town yet.

    johan the headman is a star, chain should be skip free soon

    ps. how's the dynamo light working?

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least we know you are not picking up the pace for the good wine down there ... go, go, go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i keep telling everyone you're the fastest bestest strongest craziest cyclist i know - and you prove me right day after day :) wow well done - almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone have an update for Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that what you're doing is normal (even by FC standards), but keep going. Very inspirational!!!! Wish I could have been in the Cape to cheer you in over the line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete